Our vision at Windwhistle, through the teaching of art and design, is to provide children opportunities to develop confidence, self-expression and become independent artists, whilst showing enjoyment in their creative journey. We believe that a high-quality art and design education should engage, inspire and challenge pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art, craft and design. Throughout their journey, children will be encouraged to experiment, design, create and think critically about well-known pieces of art and artists, as well as their own creations. Children will explore the work of great artists both historic and current and will discover how these reflect and shape cultures, creativity and the wealth of our nation. We highly value taking inspiration from our local community to discover personal interests and talents.
The national curriculum for art and design aims to ensure that all pupils:
- produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences
- become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques
- evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design
- know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
- Drawing and painting
Mark making, shading, using a variety of tools and surfaces, exploring primary colours, tone, light and dark, mixing colours and commenting on artwork.
- 3D form and texture
Researching and selecting materials based on their quality, creating box models, weaving, carving, creating natural sculptures and commenting on 3D art and artists.
- Pattern, printing and digital media.
Providing opportunities to explore patterns and materials, making impressed images, exploring symmetry, repeating patterns, creating monoprints and foam prints, commenting on patterns and prints. Using digital media for photographs, animations and research.
- Artists, designers and evaluation
Exploring the great masterpieces, techniques and artists/designers. Children will evaluate artwork and techniques used by a range of historic and current artists. They will discuss their opinions, likes and dislikes.